Monday, April 20, 2015

Life Lessons and Soccer



As a mom I try to imbibe "life lessons" in everyday play with my 3 year old …

For example A puzzle with a missing piece becomes a lesson on the importance of clean-up
or
Reading a book becomes a lesson on imagination - so we can create new stories to continue the book that has ended
or
Playing soccer - becomes a lesson in competition


- there are times however - like today - when he in-turn teaches me something - today was a lesson in contradictions for me ..

We were playing a game of soccer in the yard and usually we play by turn (so I would kick the ball to him and he would kick it back to me and so on - taking turns).
Today I decided to play some "hard ball" with him..I didn't give him the ball - but kept kicking it myself..when it went far - i ran to it before he could and kicked it again..

He protested - and I told him - well, if you want the ball you have to learn to take it from me..you have to be quicker than me, you have to play smart and take the ball from mommy.

Initially he played along - but then he stopped play - he motioned for me to sit down - and the conversation went like below

Aariv : "Mommy - you're not sharing the ball"
Mommy : "But I told you - if you want the ball - you just need to get to it before I do"
Aariv : "But why?!"
Mommy : "Because thats how this game is played"
Aariv : "But you also say sharing is good"
Mommy : "Uh Yes - it is..but the game.."
Aariv : "If the game does not let you share - then the game is not good - lets play share-ball and not soccer ball - OK?"

I guess we will learn about healthy competition another day, for now :

Mommy : 0 Aariv : 1

Game on!


No comments: